Friday, June 7, 2013

Finding Fault

I can completely understand those who reject the Holy Bible, or even go as far as taking no interest in it at all. What I don't understand are those who not only reject the Bible, take no interest, and then have the audacity to judge or condemn it. They pick and choose passages and take them out of context in order to find fault.

My husband Armando is no exception. I'm sure he bites his tongue more often than not in his opinion of the Bible, but when he does express his assessments it is a challenge for me not to be defensive. Just yesterday, such was true. Our 17 year old daughter Shelbi is a serious Dr. Who fan, and she has spent countless hours watching and reading  anything Dr. Who. While making dinner, my husband I and were teasing Shelbi about the Doctor, but she was paying no attention because she was reading an article about him. I raised my voice a little louder and said to Armando, "Yeah,....so tomorrow we have to get up early and go to that Dr. Who protest." Shelbi quickly turned around asking, "What...Dr. Who...protest?!" We busted up laughing and Shelbi quickly realized we were being her normal goofy parents. After the giggles came to an end I said, "You know Shelbi, if you read and studied the Bible the way you indulge in Dr. Who you would be an even stronger person in mind, emotion, and spirit." I couldn't hear her response because I was distracted by my husband's instead. With a hint of sarcasm he said, "I seriously doubt that."  His statement was not only deeply offending, but I was upset by his hypocrisy! He is always preaching to others about knowing the truth and facts before you speak, yet he made a statement about the Bible and its implications for which he has no knowledge of.  And, he has no desire to read any of it! I didn't yell or sin in my anger (thank God!), but I did passionately tell him he had no right to say what he said and why. I didn't say it out loud, but if my husband only knew what I would be like with out the transforming power of God's word and my relationship with Jesus Christ he wouldn't be married to me. I would be bitter, angry, unreliable, spiteful, verbally combative, super critical, extremely sarcastic, and the list goes on. He never  responded to my statement, and I'm sure we both would agree that was probably for the best.

The amazing thing about times like this is my husband and I can move on peacefully, but on the rare occasions when feelings are bruised we always patch each other up right away.  The sheer dynamic of our Atheist/Christian relationship is one of the many reasons my faith in God is strengthened on a daily basis.

God Bless you and be with you!


Blessed are those whose ways are blameless,
    who walk according to the law of the Lord.
Blessed are those who keep his statutes
    and seek him with all their heart—
 they do no wrong
    but follow his ways.
You have laid down precepts
    that are to be fully obeyed.
Oh, that my ways were steadfast
    in obeying your decrees!
Then I would not be put to shame
    when I consider all your commands.
I will praise you with an upright heart
    as I learn your righteous laws.
I will obey your decrees;
    do not utterly forsake me.

Psalm 119:1-8
 




No comments:

Post a Comment