Monday, May 27, 2013

"See Food"

After two months, it was apparent Armando and I were serious about our new relationship. I didn't know he was an Atheist at this point and time, and to be perfectly honest, I really didn't care. You see, I had hardened my heart towards God and the church during the time my ex-husband cheated on me and left the kids and I. So, as far as I was concerned it didn't matter who I became unequally yoked with.

My children Andrew(16), Jennifer(11), Ashley(8), and Shelbi(6) knew I was seeing a new man. All, except for Jennifer were against my having a boyfriend.  I didn't want to force them into a friendship with Armando, but I didn't want them to think I was sneaking around with him either. It was best that they met him and judged the man for themselves, so I decided to have Armando join us for dinner. I wasn't a very good cook, but I sure could fry up some tasty chicken. Of course, that particular evening the chicken came out bland and over-cooked.  To make matters worse Andrew refused to be in the same room with us. I apologized to Armando and he was so gracious and understanding. The girls, Armando, and I sat around the dining table. I sat at the head of the table, Armando to my right, Jennifer to my left, Ashley across from me, and little Shelbi sat next to Armando. Shelbi wouldn't sit still. It was as if her already hyper-active mind and body were high on sugar. She kept playing with her food. Ashley decided to join in with the food play and went as far as flicking it at her sister Shelbi. I tried to gently scold them from across the table in an attempt to settled them down. I lowered my gaze back to my plate and before I could blink I saw a dinner roll spiral across the table and hit my plate. I flashed my gaze back to the source and there I saw Ashley with a big ole' proud cheeser grin. I scolded her once again. She didn't stop the giggling, but at least she kept her food grounded.  I was so embarrassed and afraid to look at what kind of expression Armando had on his face, but I forced myself to look anyway. He had a look of mild shock coupled with a suppressed smile. His attention shifted to Shelbi and her "Close Encounters" food mold she was constructing on her plate. She and Armando locked eyes and to my horror, Shelbi opened her mouth slow and wide, stuck her tongue out and  revealed a collage of her chewed up food! Like a nightmare everything moved in slow motion. Jennifer faced palmed, eyes downcast, and shaking her head. Ashley letting out a huge belting laugh. All I could think was, I'm never going to see this man again.

Some how, we made it through our meal. When it was time for Armando to leave, I told the girls to stay inside so I could talk to our dinner guest for a minute. Shelbi was screaming and crying at the door while Jennifer tried to hush her. I turned to Armando and said, "It was nice knowing you."  He crunched his eyebrows, tilted his head, and asked, "What do you mean?" I started spewing out apologies for my kid's behavior and promised I wouldn't hold it against him if he didn't want to date me anymore. He chuckled and took my hands in his. He looked me square in the eyes and said, "I'm not going anywhere, anytime soon."  That was 11 years ago and it still brings tears to my eyes when I tell the story. (Yes, I'm crying right now.)

Until tomorrow....G'night :)




4 comments:

  1. It brought tears to my eyes too. But Romeo (Armando), is so understanding and loving. It takes a man to stick it out like that. God Bless him!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. That is love and grace. How come I haven't heard that story?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, I don't know Dana...I suppose this is another reason this blog is important. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom, yes he is a very wonderful and strong man. I always tell him how much I admire him :)

    ReplyDelete